Getting to the lab is not difficult, but does require driving a few kilometers on a gravel road which can get muddy, then a couple hundred meters off-road to the visitor parking lot, and a walk in along a well-marked 1.5 km trail through the Natural Area. To get to the BBO visitor parking lot:
- Drive east out of Edmonton on Highway 14, marked to Camrose/Wainwright.
- When you reach Tofield stay on Highway 14 until Secondary Highway 834, marked to Bawlf.
- You also have the option of going through the Town of Tofield (watch for Watchable Wildlife signs).
- Turn north (left) on Hwy 834 and continue until you reach a T-intersection.
- Turn east (right) at the T-intersection on to Secondary Highway 626, which turns quickly to gravel.
- Continue straight east as Hwy 626 becomes Township Road 510.
- Follow Twp Rd 510 almost to the end, approximately 6.25 km after the road turned to gravel.
- You will see a gate and a cattle guard on the north (left) side of the road.
- Proceed through this gate (closing it behind you) and continue across the field along the tracks.
- This portion is on private property—please protect the vegetation and be cautious around the cattle.
- Park your vehicle on the inside of the second gate, inside the Natural Area.
Once you've parked your vehicle, you're just a short walk away from the lab:
- Take the main trail, "Harrier Highway", northeast from the visitor parking lot.
- The trail runs along "Lister Lake" and provides excellent birding opportunities.
- After approximately 1 km, watch on your left for the signs for "Warbler Way"
- Wind along "Warbler Way" for approximately 0.5 km through the young poplar forest until you reach the lab.